Monday 27 June 2022

One of the instructors at this year's festival is Peggy Stevens.  Peggy does beautiful hand embroidery, and is keen to pass along her skills to others.  She will use her teaching skills to impart her love of stitching with this project:

Peggy writes, "I was born into a family of makers. My mother and we daughters all made clothes, quilted, crocheted, knitted, and also embroidered. Although I do not claim to be an expert at embroidery, I do derive great pleasure from hand embroidery. My largest embroidery project using very simple stitches became a bed sized quilt of red cat silhouettes embroidered on white cotton. My most complex embroidery work came from a Quiltmania Magazine mystery a few years back (pictured below). I learned many new embroidery techniques and had a lot of fun completing four small wall hangings. Perhaps my favourite master embroiderer is Sue Spargo (below). I have made only one of her projects, a quilt, which, once again, taught me new stitches and techniques. And so goes my embroidery life."
This quilt features 12 floral bouquets representing each month of the year..

This quilt is a Sue Spargo design she called a log cabin. Each block used new-to-me embroidery stitches so it was a fun learning experience.

Below are three of four embroideries I completed for a Quiltmania Mystery a few years ago. They were part of a larger project. I liked them as individual pieces, making it easier to gift to friends. I learned a great deal while completing these pieces. As you can see, some of the embroidery is stitched onto appliqués."



To register for Peggy's class, call 902-447-3339 or email: peggystevens45@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment